Yum, is all I can say about my Grilled Chilean Vegetable Kabobs with Basil Chimichurri Sauce. This recipe is adapted from a non-vegan recipe found on Feasting at Home. When I saw a picture of their recipe on a food sharing sight, I thought it would be a perfect recipe to transform into a vegan dish. I’m so glad I did.
I started these vegetable kabobs late in the morning because I wanted to marinate the vegetables in the Chilean lime sauce for several hours. When adding vegetables to a skewer, the prep is so easy. I just cut the bell pepper and onion in large chunks and de-stemmed the mushrooms. As for the cherry tomatoes, they could be thrown on the skewers whole so they just needed to be washed. I also added beets because, well I just love beets. Once I finished marinating the veggies, it only took a few minutes to get them ready for the grill. Grill time for me was about 20 minutes, but this could vary depending upon the heat of your barbecue.
To enhance the flavor of any barbecue, I always use mesquite wood chunks without any lighter fluid. Somehow the thought of lighter fluid evaporating up into my food grosses me out so I always just use paper and a lighter. On windy days, this can sometimes be a challenge, and it’s frequently windy here in the California desert so I always have to plan accordingly. Thankfully today, the air is still and calm and there’s not a hint of wind anywhere.
Grilled vegetable kabobs are so fun to make. You can use just about any vegetable you want and you’ll always get good results. I chose these vegetables because of the lovely color combination but if you’re not concerned with color, the possibilities are endless.
I hope you enjoy these Grilled Chilean Vegetable Kabobs with Basil Chimichurri Sauce as much as we did. See you in the kitchen!
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning (or make your own with red pepper, thyme, celery seed, paprika and onion powder)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms de-stemmed
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion diced into large chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper diced into large chunks
- 8.8 oz cooked beets about 5 diced into large chunks (I used Love Beets)
- 3/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cut up vegetables. Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Add vegetables to large freezer bag. Pour marinade on top of vegetables in bag. Using your hands, mix vegetables and marinade in bag making sure all vegetables are covered. Allow to site for 2-4 hours so that vegetables absorb the flavor of the marinade.
- Place vegetables on bamboo skewers. Cook on barbecue over mesquite wood chunks for 20 minutes, depending upon the heat of your barbecue. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle basil chimichurri sauce over each vegetable kabob. Serve with brown rice and a glass of your favorite red wine.