With only a little over a week until 4th of July, I thought I’d get into the spirit of things by making some Pecan Crusted Red, White and Blue French Toast. This tasty recipe would be perfect any day of the year, but if you want to be patriotic on the upcoming holiday, make sure you serve up a huge platter of this delicious French toast to get your 4th of July started off on the right foot.
This Pecan-Crusted Red, White and Blue French Toast is so decadent, you won’t believe it’s actually Vegan. Infused with coconut oil and then topped with a rich and creamy coconut whipped cream, you also won’t believe you’re eating a healthy breakfast and not a sinful, scrumptious desert.
Another great thing about this Red, White and Blue French Toast is that it can be eaten any time of day. Nothing like serving breakfast for dinner like I did today just to mix things up a bit.
One funny that I’d like to share with you about this recipe…I made Michael’s first as I knew he was hungry and decided to wait to eat mine so I could take pictures of it for this post. I had the plate stacked to the nine’s with French toast, then gently added a perfect dollop of coconut cream to the top. I placed the berries around the coconut cream and along the plate as you see in the pictures. Just as I was getting ready to shoot my first picture, my reflector toppled over and crashed into my French toast right into the dollop of coconut cream. Luckily, I saved a little for an emergency and was able to reapply it and take these beautiful pictures. I hope you like this recipe as much as we did. Have a safe and happy holiday.
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.5 cups raw pecans
- 1/2 tsp sea salt fine
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk I use Native Forest
- 1/2 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 9 slices whole wheat bread I used Dave's Bread
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Whisk together all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow the chia seeds to thicken the batter.
- Add pecans and sea salt to food processor. Pulse for several minutes until mixture is fine and crumbly. Set aside.
- Remove the top fatty portion of the coconut milk only and place it in a bowl. Add in powdered sugar and whip vigorously with a fork until frothy. You can also use a mixer if you have one to whip it up. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pour pecans onto plate. Dip bread slices one at a time into batter coating both sides. Then dip bread into pecans coating both sides.
- Melt coconut oil in large skillet. Add 3 slices of bread at a time and cook over medium heat until both sides are browned. Stack onto plate. Top with large dollop of coconut whipped cream. Add slices of strawberries and blueberries and serve piping hot.