This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is topped with a rich, flavorful mushroom gravy that’s so good, your mouth will thank you for eating it!
As promised when I posted my Creamy Tofu Sour Cream recipe earlier today, I present you with my version of Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. I adapted this recipe from an original mushroom stroganoff recipe that I created when I was vegetarian. Of course, in that recipe, I used oodles of sour cream, something I’m avoiding these days being vegan.
I spent a lot of time thinking about this Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff recipe today and couldn’t wait to get started. I was so excited in fact, I started dinner at 3 pm and we ate by 4. Michael is so sweet, he was hungry but waited while I grabbed a few shots of the new recipe while I still had some good lighting near my kitchen window.
I think it turned out just as good, if not better, than my original recipe. The nutmeg makes the dish, so you won’t want to skip out on using it in the recipe. I have plenty of left overs for tomorrow night’s dinner, so I would say the recipe was a success. Well, time to clean this mess up now! I hope you try this vegan mushroom stroganoff and let me know how you like it. See you in the kitchen!
If you make this Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff, don’t forget to take a photo and tag it #veganvigilante1 on Instagram. Please also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. As always, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated. I will always answer your queries within 24 hours or less. I’d love to know what you think about this, and other, recipes on my blog. Contact me anytime by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 12 oz package whole wheat noodles
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1.5 lbs white mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Creamy Tofu Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 rounded tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 4-6 tbsp brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup parsley coursely chopped
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain. Set aside.
- At the same time, melt the vegan butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Turn up heat to medium and add mushrooms. Brown until limp. Stir in the basil, paprika, nutmeg, walnuts and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat.
- Add 3 tbsp. flour to Creamy Tofu Sour Cream. Stir thoroughly. Remove skillet from heat and add in the sour cream mixture. Stir until mixture is dissolved.
- Return skillet to burner and cook over low heat, just until the sauce thickens. If you want a thicker sauce, add the remaining flour to a few tablespoons of water in a small glass. Stir thoroughly to avoid lumps and pour into skillet stirring constantly. Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the parsley and season with more sea salt and pepper if needed. Serve piping hot over noodles.