I’ve lost about 22 pounds so far being vegan really without even trying. But cooking almost every day so I can have content to post on my blog page means that I eat really well. Sometimes, too well! This week we enjoyed two pasta dishes for dinner: my Creamy Avocado Pasta Primavera and my Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Creamy Tofu Sour Cream. Don’t get me wrong! I love to eat my own recipes. Every day is like a new adventure to me so I would never complain about it. But the pasta over the last week has left me feeling rather full, if you will, and today I vowed to make something fresh and light to celebrate the fact that summer is almost here. Presenting my 10-Minute Summer Jicama Salad. I wanted to make the name a bit more interesting, but I added just about everything in my refrigerator to make this dish so just decided to keep the name simple.
What I failed to understand until after I mixed all the ingredients together, was that in doing so, the photograph that I took afterward was not going to do the salad justice. I should have taken the photo before I added the lime juice and Veganese dressing, but what the heck, live and learn, right! That’s what life is all about and being that this is a new blog, I have a lot to learn still and I’m not ashamed to admit that. Thank you for bearing with me along the way.
What I loved about this salad was that the jicama made it a little crunchy, the jalapeño made it a bit hot, the avocado made it extremely creamy and the oranges made it a little sweet. Add it all together and you get my 10-Minute Summer Jicama Salad. Enjoy and see you in the kitchen!
A light, tangy, hot and sweet summer salad that’s perfect for a picnic by the lake or to take to a summer barbecue.
- 1 medium jicama (peeled and chopped into cubes)
- 2 medium purple carrots (shredded)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper (finely chopped )
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper (finely chopped )
- 1 medium avocado (chopped )
- 1 medium navel orange (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed or minced)
- 1 jalepeno (seeded and finely chopped; keep a few seeds for a little extra heat)
- 2 green onions (chopped )
- 2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp Veganese
- 3 tbsp lime juice (about 1 1/2 limes)
- parsley fresh parsley (for garnish)
- sea salt (to taste )
- Add all ingredients to large bowl. Admire the colors for a minute and then stir thoroughly. Top with parsley and serve chilled.
- Category: Lunch