I became vegan for many reasons, one of the most important being that it was one of the best ways I could do my part in cutting down on animal cruelty and abuse. I’ve learned a lot along the way but one thing that stands out for me is my absolute love for nutritional yeast. Nutty, cheesy, healthy, delicious nutritional yeast. Because I want you to become familiar with it’s amazing health benefits too, I thought I’d post my 7 top reasons for loving it:
- Loaded with fiber – a single serving provides about 4 grams of dietary fiber.
- A complete protein – contains 18 amino acids, 9 of which are essential ones that your body can’t produce.
- Packed with minerals – consuming nutritional yeast ensures you get a significant dose of iron, selenium and zinc, essential minerals for a vegan diet.
- Great source of B-vitamins – including thiamine, folate, B-6 and niacin. Many brands are also fortified with Vitamin B-12, which is usually only found in animal products.
- Plant-based – safe for vegetarians and vegans alike. Non-vegans can also enjoy its amazing nutritional value.
- Boosts immunity – provides the compounds beta-1,3 glucan, trehalose, mannan and glutathione, which are associated with enhanced immunity, reduced cholesterol levels and cancer prevention.
- Enhances the flavor of many foods – the possibilities are endless when using nutritional yeast in your recipes. It adds a healthy, flavorful boost to sauces, gravies, dressings and even main dishes like Mac and Cheese. It’s also great sprinkled on popcorn and garlic bread.
Do you have a fun suggestion for using nutritional yeast? Please share your comments below.