These Grilled Carrot Dogs are marinated in a spicy, smoky sauce and then tossed on the grill for a very unusual summer barbecue that everyone will enjoy.
What words popped into your mind when you heard the words “carrot dogs?” If you’re like me, something that you may not want your kids repeating. But let’s face it, this is a vegan recipe blog and for you to be reading my posts means you at least trust me a little with your palate and hopefully know by now I would never lead you astray. Still not convinced? Let me keep trying.
Seriously, you just have to try these grilled carrot dogs. I’m convinced that after just one bite, you’ll no longer be skeptical. I adorned mine with roasted red onion and red bell pepper but you can virtually top them with just about anything and they’ll still be a hit.
Summer is a great time to barbecue and vegans and non-vegans alike will appreciate the simplicity of these carrot dogs. Just marinate them for a couple of hours and toss them on the grill and you’ll have a delicious meal you’re whole family will enjoy, even the hot dog lovers in the crowd.
Just remember, it’s the condiments that really make the hot dog so try and be versatile when it comes to adding them. I used Venenaise, mustard, sweet pickle relish and barbecue sauce, but you can use anything you want including cheese and chipotle sauce, jalapeno and avocado, caramelized onions and pineapple; jeez I must stop I’m making myself hungry.
The key to grilling these carrot dogs is to par-boil them for about 7-8 minutes and then marinate them. That way you don’t have to stand over a hot grill for that long in the sweltering heat.
My carrot dogs would be extra-delicious served with my tasty Vegan Potato Salad and my Creamy Garlic Thyme Purple Cabbage Slaw. If you decide to try them, be sure to leave a comment letting me know how you liked them. See you in the kitchen!
A tasty vegan alternative to traditional hot dogs, these Grilled Carrot Dogs are naturally low in calories and good for you too!
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (Grade A)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion (powder)
For the Carrot Dogs
- 6 large carrots (peeled with both ends trimmed)
- 6 whole wheat hot dog buns
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large garlic clove (minced )
- 1 large red bell pepper (sliced length-wise in strips)
- 1/2 medium red onion (thinly sliced in strips)
For the Marinade
- Par-boil peeled and trimmed carrots in a pan of water for 7 to 8 minutes. Carrots should be semi-tender but should not fall apart when you stick them with a fork.
- Whisk together vinegar, coconut aminos, liquid smoke, maple syrup, sesame oil and spices in a bowl. Pour into large zip lock bag. Add carrots and swish around allowing to marinate for 2-4 hours (or less if you don’t have time to wait).
For the Hot Dogs
- Heat vegetable broth and garlic in skillet for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and red onion and saute until onions are translucent. Set aside.
- Light barbecue grill. Once coals are ready, remove carrots from marinade and place them on grill. Grill for about 10 minutes turning at least once.
- Place carrots in hot dog buns. Adorn with red bell pepper and red onion and whatever condiments you fancy. Serve immediately.