These Grilled Carrot Dogs can be made 4 different ways and are marinated in a spicy, smoky sauce and then tossed on the grill for a very unusual summer barbecue recipe. Dress each carrot hotdog with a different topping combination and come back for seconds for your favorite!
What words popped into your mind when you heard the words “carrot dogs?” If you’re like me, something that you may not want your kids repeating. But let’s face it, this is a vegan recipe blog and for you to be reading my posts means you at least trust me a little with your palate and hopefully know by now I would never lead you astray. Still not convinced? Let me keep trying.
Summer is a great time to barbecue and vegans and non-vegans alike will appreciate the simplicity of these naturally vegan carrot dogs. Just marinate them for a couple of hours and toss them on the grill and you’ll have a delicious meal you’re whole family will enjoy, even the hot dog lovers in the crowd. And if you like summer barbecue recipes and sides, try my Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger with Smokey Chipotle Sauce, my Mesquite Grilled Corn on the Cob, my Creamy Vegan Potato Salad with Lemon and Fresh Dill and my Watermelon Agua Fresca with Mint and No Sugar.
How to Make Grilled Carrot Dogs
The key to grilling perfect carrot dogs is to:
- Rinse and peel your carrots.
- Par-boil them in a medium saucepan for about 7-8 minutes prior to putting them on the barbecue.
- Marinate them in the marinade recipe found below after par-boiling for 2-4 hours. That way you don’t have to stand over a hot grill for too long, especially if it’s hot outside.
- Barbecue directly on the grill not to close to the coals. You don’t want them to burn.
- Remove from grill. Load each carrot hotdog into a bun and top with the following toppings, depending upon which carrot dog version you prefer.
Toppings for the 4 Different Types of Carrot Dogs
Just remember, it’s the condiments that really make the hot dog so try and be versatile when it comes to adding them. The toppings in the main photograph come in four different styles as follows:
- South of the Border Dog – add sliced jalapeno, guacamole, red onion & cilantro.
- Americana Dog – ketchup, mustard, relish, red onion.
- Cabbage Dog – Creamy Garlic Thyme Purple Cabbage Slaw or any store-bought purple cabbage, cilantro and vegan mayo.
- Avocado Dog – sliced avocado, tomato and cilantro.
What to Serve With Carrot Dogs
My carrot dogs would be extra-delicious served with my tasty:
- Vegan Creamy Dill & Lemon Potato Salad
- Creamy Garlic Thyme Purple Cabbage Slaw
- Mesquite Grilled Corn on the Cob
- 10-Minute Mango and Sweet Corn Salsa
Carrot Dogs 4 Ways
For the Marinade
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup Grade A
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the Carrot Dogs
- 6 large carrots peeled with both ends trimmed
- 6 100% whole wheat hot dog buns
South of the Border Carrot Dogs Toppings
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- 0.5 cup prepared guacamole or mashed avocado
- 0.25 cup red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
For the American Carrot Dogs Toppings
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 2 tablespoon red onion
For the Cabbage Carrot Dogs Toppings
- 1 cup Creamy Purple Thyme Cabbage Slaw or store-bought purple cabbage
- 2 tablespoon cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
For the Avocado Carrot Dogs Toppings
- 1 avocado seeded and sliced
- 1 tomato chopped or sliced
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
For the Marinade
- Par-boil peeled and trimmed carrots in a pan of water for 7 to 8 minutes. Carrots should be semi-tender but should not fall apart when you stick them with a fork.
- Whisk together vinegar, coconut aminos, liquid smoke, maple syrup, sesame oil and spices in a bowl. Pour into large zip lock bag. Add carrots and swish around allowing to marinate for 2-4 hours (or less if you don’t have time to wait).
For the Hot Dogs
- Light barbecue grill. Once coals are ready, remove carrots from marinade and place them on grill. Grill for about 10 minutes turning at least once. Be careful not to burn.
- Place carrots in hot dog buns. Adorn with your favorite topping combination and enjoy.