A warm and comforting vegan Chickpea & Red Pepper Soup made in your Instant Pot in 20 minutes.
For the Soup
- 2 cans organic chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 2 medium red bell peppers coarsely chopped
- 2 large shallots coarsely chopped
- 1–2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth sodium-free or reduced sodium
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
For the Garnishes (use liberally if you choose)
- fresh parsley or cilantro
- crushed raw, unsalted cashews or other nuts
- grated fresh ginger
- smoked paprika
- Drain the brine from the chickpeas and rinse well in a colander. Get out your Instant Pot and start tossing.
- Slice the well-rinsed bell pepper and coarsely chop the shallots. Add them to your pot.
- Add minced garlic, fresh rosemary, cumin, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric, sea salt & pepper to taste and vegetable broth. Give it a good stir.
- Close the lid and either press saute for 20-30 minutes or slow cook for 2-4 hours. I slow-cooked mine for 4 hours but I’ve made this in as little as 20 minutes.
- Once it’s done, throw everything in a blender and give it a swirl until it’s creamy and delicious. Alternatively, you can serve it without implementing this step, right out of the Instant Pot.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. I chose crushed cashews, parsley, grated ginger and smoked paprika and I’m so happy that I did.
- This recipe is limitless; you can add extra veggies or toppings of your choice. Just make sure you leave a comment and tell us what you added so we can try your version.
- Adjust the turmeric to your desired color. I used about 2 heaping teaspoons to get this amazing yellow.
- If you choose to use fresh chickpeas, make sure you soak them overnight. I would go with a pound of them to start. You can always increase this amount as you desire.
- If you are using the creamy version, don’t bother finely chopping the bell pepper and shallots. After all, you’re going to be blending them, therefore coarsely chopped veggies will do.
- No Instant Pot? No problem. Just use a large pot. You may choose to saute the veggies, spices and garlic first in some veggie broth in a separate pan to cut-down on the cooking time.
- To make this vegan soup recipe whole food plant based (WFPB), use raw chickpeas that have been soaked overnight.
- Store soup in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also freeze this Chickpea & Red Pepper Soup for up to 6 months.
- Category: One-Pot Meals
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: chickpea and red pepper soup, chickpea and red pepper soup recipes vegan soup, vegan soup recipes, whole food plant based recipes, WFPB recipes, instant pot, easy