These yummy Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are naturally gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free making any day special, even when there’s baking involved.
It’s a sunny Sunday in the California Desert and I got up especially early today to do something extra special for Michael. He loves chocolate chip cookies so I thought I’d surprise him by making a batch of these Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies. The last thing I wanted to do was to turn the oven on in the heat of the day, hence getting up extra early so I could bake in comfort.
I’ll let you in on a little secret: I’ve baked a lot of cookies in my day but this is the first time I’ve attempted a vegan version. Because I’m brand new at vegan baking, I used a recipe in the Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon for her Crispy Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. I altered it a little to make it my own, of course and I don’t know how hers turned out, but mine were absolutely fabulous.
I have had a sweet tooth for days and last week when I went shopping, I decided I was going to try two desserts this week, these Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies being one of them. I bought enough Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (which are dairy, nut and soy free) to also make brownies. More on that in a later post. Now let’s get back to these Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Making these cookies gave me a chance to use my brand new Kitchen Aid Mixer that a friend gave me from an estate sale. Can you imagine getting a free Kitchen Aid Mixer that is in perfect, mint condition? What a find and thank you Bobbi Ann!
If you decide to make these Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies this summer, make sure you get up extra early like I did. See you in the kitchen!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup vegan almond butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar in the raw or other vegan sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup vegan mini dark chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add rolled oats and almonds to food processor. Pulse for several minutes until mixture turns into a crumbly meal. Set aside.
- Grind flax seed in coffee grinder or with mortar and pestle. Add to 3 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken for at least 5 minutes.
- Using either a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat together the coconut oil and almond butter until it reaches a smooth consistency. Add sugar in the raw and brown sugars and beat for a couple of minutes more. Pour in flaxseed mixture and vanilla until well-combined.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder, salt and oat/almond meal to bowl and beat until combined. Your dough should be slightly sticky. If it is too dry, add unsweetened almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time to moisten.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Shape the dough into little balls rolling it in your hands until smooth. Place the balls (you should have about 12 of them) on your prepared baking sheet leaving enough space in between so the cookies have room to expand.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies turn golden brown. Remove and let cool before serving so the cookies don't fall apart.