I love chickpeas. They are so versatile. They’re also low in fat and high in protein, fiber and iron. In fact, just one cup renders 14.5 grams of protein, 12.5 grams of dietary fiber and almost 5 milligrams of iron. Chickpeas, alias garbanzo beans, are an essential ingredient in hummus. You can use them to add an amazing nutritional boost to salads and soups and, as you can see with my Crunchy Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe, they make a great staple food for sandwiches, as well.
I also love dill weed. Imagine a weed that tastes this good! It’s also good for you. Similar to parsley and garlic, dill has been found to provide chemoprotective and bacteriostatic properties, protecting against free radicals and bacterial overgrowth. It’s also high in calcium and acts as a flavorful way to help prevent bone loss. If you’re trying out this recipe, be sure not to skip the dill as it is the one “stand alone” ingredient that separates this Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe from many of the others.
My favorite thing about this Crunchy Chickpea Salad Sandwich is it only takes about 10 minutes from prep to plate. Lunches will never be the same after you try this. I encourage you to play around with it, too. Add whatever you have in the fridge and see how different ingredients alter the taste. I’ve made this recipe several times and played around with it finally resting here on this recipe to post on my blog as I think it was the most flavorful. Well, it’s lunch time. See you in the kitchen!
A hint of dill and the sweet taste of raisins makes this crunchy chickpea salad sandwich packed with nutrition and deliciousness.
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas (BPA-free, drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium clove garlic
- juice of one small lime
- 1/4 large red pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 small carrot (shredded)
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 3 tbsp Veganese
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- 1–2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- lettuce, tomato and avocado (for garnish)
- Add chickpeas, garlic, lime juice, Veganese, mustard and sea salt and pepper to food processor. Pulse till smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour chickpea mixture into large bowl. Add red pepper, celery, carrot, green onion, raisins, sunflower seeds and dill. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread across whole grain bread or stuff into a pita. Top with lettuce, tomato and avocado and serve.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American