Each 3 ounce serving of tempeh bacon gives you 16 gram of protein and 6 grams of dietary fiber. So healthy and so good for you too!
Yum, this Easy Tempeh Bacon is the bomb! I wanted to make this tempeh bacon recipe because the supermarket no longer carries the pre-packaged, marinated tempeh that was already cut into strips. Instead, they carry a large chunk of tempeh that is uncut and very bland tasting. I thought I’d spruce it up today by adding a little tamari, a little hickory smoke seasoning, some pure maple syrup and a few tasty spices. And it sure turned out delicious, even more so than the premade brand I used to buy at the supermarket.
What’s Tempeh Bacon Made From?
Tempeh is made from soybeans. The soybean was first cultivated by farmers of East Asia more than 5,000 years ago. It has been called one of nature’s most perfect foods. Each 3 ounce serving of tempeh contains 16 grams of protein, 250 milligrams of potassium and 6 grams of dietary fiber. The brand I buy is Lightlife, which makes its tempeh out of 3 organic grains: organic barley, brown rice and millet.
For all you bacon lovers out there, I challenge you to try this easy tempeh bacon. I guarantee you’ll love it just as much, if not more, than real bacon. It’s so versatile, too. Put it on veggie burgers, serve it with a tofu scramble or do like I did today and add it to your favorite vegan BLT. You can also serve it in a vegan Cobb salad or any recipe that calls for bacon. Anything you put it in is going to be great.
I’m always looking to create simple recipes that take only a few minutes from prep to plate. This Easy Tempeh Bacon is just that. Just marinate the tempeh strips in the savory sauce for a few minutes beforehand, then throw them into the frying pan for a few minutes to cook. In minutes, you’ll have a delicious tempeh bacon recipe that your whole family will enjoy.
Easy Tempeh Bacon
- 8 ounces organic tempeh cut into thick slices
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke hickory flavored
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup Grade A
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Whisk together tamari, liquid smoke, maple syrup and spices in large bowl.
- Add tempeh to bowl and coat both sides evenly. Let sit for 5 minutes to marinate, turning once.
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add tempeh strips and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve immediately.