A little taste of Mexico in one amazing pot, these One Pot Vegan Enchiladas go from prep to plate in just about 30 minutes. So worth the wait!
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 12 organic corn tortillas (cut into strips)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 med red onion (finely chopped )
- 1 med butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (fine)
- 15 oz can black beans (or 1 cup home cooked)
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1.5 cup crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz green enchilada sauce
- 3.5 oz raw spinach (handful)
For the Toppings
- 1 med jalepeno (sliced)
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1 large avocado (seeded and chopped or sliced)
- handful cilantro (coarsely chopped )
- Using mise en place, prepare all your ingredients before you start to cook. See photo of mise en place in recipe.
- Over medium heat, in a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add tortilla strips and stir frequently until crispy and golden, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer into a colander lined with a paper towel to blot up excess oil. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil and bayleaf. Heat until bayleaf is fragrant. Remove bay leaf and add garlic and onions. Sauté until onion are transluscent.
- Add butternut squash, tomatoes, spices and salt and stir until thoroughly coated. Reduce heat to low and cover and allow to cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add black beans, corn and enchilada sauce, cover and simmer foran additional 5-8 minutes until ingredients are well-melded together. Stir in spinach until wilted.
- Add tortilla strips and bring to boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes or more, until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before sprinkling with your favorite toppings and serving.
Recipe adapted from My Darling Vegan.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican