A lovely portobello mushroom salad with a hint of fresh pear, pecans, avocado and cucumber and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps (stems and gills removed and sliced into large strips)
- 1/2 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 ripe pear (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1 ripe avocado (pitted and chopped)
- 1/2 medium cucumber (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette.
- Wash the mushroom caps and dry with paper towel rubbing off any excess debris. Remove stems by twisting until they pop off. Scrape out gills with small spoon and discard.
- Heat vegetable broth and garlic in medium skillet. Add mushrooms and red onion and saute until mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent. Add more vegetable broth as needed. Set aside.
- Place greens into large salad bowl. Add pear, avocado, cucumber and chopped pecans. Toss, then top with mushrooms and red onion and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette. Serve with warm, vegan-buttered bread.