A robust sauce with hints of sweet, sour and spice, this flavorful Three Tomato Jam is the perfect compliment for grilled or roasted vegetables or just about any dish you can imagine. Vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free.
I absolutely love this stuff. I have gobs of it in my refrigerator and love to have it on warm, freshly baked bread or roasted veggies. Here, I made a loaf of vegan light rye bread and the loaf was history by the end of the day between Michael and I. What can I say, but this Three Tomato Jam is that good.
This recipe is inspired by a Two Tomato Jam recipe in The Bold Vegetarian by Bharti Kirchner, a book I bought many years ago when I was vegetarian. She has a lot of awesome vegan recipes in the book as well as vegetarian ones. I find with just a few changes, I can easily turn her vegetarian recipes into vegan ones, which is why I keep the book.
This deep reddish-brown jam combines fresh juicy Classic and Roma tomatoes with sun dried tomatoes that have been rehydrated. The jam derives a hint of sweetness from the Sugar in the Raw along with a hint of sourness from the tamarind. It pairs especially well with grilled eggplant or simply slathered on some warm crusty bread. It’s also amazing with my Best Stuffed Holiday Acorn Squash or my Vegan Stuffed Poblano Peppers.
When I took these pictures, I was intrigued by this tiny flick of light coming through my living room window. It was literally calling me from the kitchen. They may not be the best pictures, but I love to experiment with new things and am always learning more each time I pick up my camera.
If you make this Three Tomato Jam, don’t forget to take a photo and tag it #veganvigilante1 on Instagram. Please also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. As always, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated. I will always answer your queries within 24 hours or less. I’d love to know what you think about these Zucchini Noodles other recipes and the blog, overall. Contact me anytime by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A robust sauce with hints of sweet, sour and spice, this flavorful Three Tomato Jam is the perfect compliment for grilled or roasted vegetables or just about any dish you can imagine. Vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free
- 1 lb Roma (plum) tomatoes
- 1 lb Classic tomatoes
- 16 whole sun-dried tomatoes (cover and soak in boiling water for 15 minutes or until softened then drain and set aside.)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp sugar in the raw (or any other vegan sugar)
- 1 tsp tamarind concentrate (don’t omit this; it makes the recipe)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinammon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- To peel tomatoes, plunge them into boiling water until their skins start to crack. Some of them are slower to respond than others. This takes about 5-10 minutes. Remove each one as it cracks and place on rack to cool. Once cool, remove skin from each one and discard. Cut each tomato in half, preserving the juice.
- Process tomato flesh and drained sun-dried tomatoes in blender of food processor until smooth. Place in medium saucepan and add sugar and spices. Bring to boil. Lower heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the mixture is thick, stirring often. Add tamarind and sea salt and stir well.
- Taste for salt, sugar and tamarind. The sauce should have a hint of sweetness and be a bit tart. Ladle into clean jars. Best served warm or at room temperature. Yields about 3, eight-ounce jars.
**If you prefer your jam to be seed-free, cut each tomato in half and, into a sieve placed over a bowl, gently squeeze out most of the seeds. Discard seeds in sieve and reserve juices. Chop the flesh coursely before placing into food processor.
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian, Italy