Ooohh, vegan stuffing never tasted so good! Made with vegan croissants, tasty herbs, caramelized onions, wild mushrooms and gooey vegan cheese, take your stuffing from bland to bold in a matter of minutes with this super easy vegan stuffing recipe.
- 12 –16 roughly torn, day old vegan croissants (I made mine from vegan puff pastry)
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter (divided)
- 1–2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1–8 oz package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups roughly torn kale
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 flax eggs (mix 3 tablespoons ground flax meal with 6 tablespoons water. Stir well & chill in fridge)
- 1 cup vegan cheese of your choice (optional)
- Make your croissants the day before and let them sit out overnight.
- Lightly oil a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/177 degrees Celsius.
- Arrange the torn croissants in the baking dish and cover with 2 tablespoons vegan butter, thinly sliced. Transfer to oven and back for 5-8 minutes, until croissants are lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. When oil begins to shimmer, add garlic and sage and cook until fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the onions and simmer until translucent. Add a dab of vegan butter and continue to cook the onions until they caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add celery, mushrooms, sea salt and pepper. Stir well and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until veggies are tender. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add rest of vegan butter, kale and thyme. Cook only until kale has wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together vegan broth and flax eggs until well combined. Add toasted croissants, the mushroom/kale mixture and all the butter left in skillet. Toss gently. If the mixture seems to dry, simply add a bit more vegetable broth and stir.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish. Top evenly with vegan cheese. Cover dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and check for dryness. Drizzle more broth on top if needed. Continue baking for another 10 minutes or so until stuffing edges are golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve right out of oven.