A delicious vegan version of beef stroganoff made with savory mushrooms and creamy tofu sour cream.
- 1 12 oz package whole wheat noodles
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1.5 lbs white mushrooms (chopped )
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Creamy Tofu Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 1 rounded tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup walnuts (finely chopped )
- 4–6 tbsp brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup parsley (coursely chopped)
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain. Set aside.
- At the same time, melt the vegan butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Turn up heat to medium and add mushrooms. Brown until limp. Stir in the basil, paprika, nutmeg, walnuts and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat.
- Add 3 tbsp. flour to Creamy Tofu Sour Cream. Stir thoroughly. Remove skillet from heat and add in the sour cream mixture. Stir until mixture is dissolved.
- Return skillet to burner and cook over low heat, just until the sauce thickens. If you want a thicker sauce, add the remaining flour to a few tablespoons of water in a small glass. Stir thoroughly to avoid lumps and pour into skillet stirring constantly. Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the parsley and season with more sea salt and pepper if needed. Serve piping hot over noodles.