This Savory Garbanzo Bean Vegan Stew is the perfect end-of-summer meal that your whole family will enjoy!
Comfort food. That’s what I was craving when I made Vegan Stew tonight. It’s been a rough couple of weeks for me and it doesn’t appear to be ending anytime soon. When things get stressful “out there” I love to go within to tap into that creative energy force that guides me when I’m feeling lost.
When my intuition screams for comfort food, I reach into my bag of tricks and create recipes that make me feel good cooking them, as well as eating them. For me, this Vegan Stew is just what the doctor ordered.
This recipe was inspired by an old friend who lived in Spain and traveled to the USA a couple of times a year. Sadly, we are no longer friends, but she left me with fond memories of cooking and sharing meals together. Her version of this recipe, for which we never really found a name, was one of the first things she made for me when we both lived in “The Crazy House.” With the exception of garlic, she didn’t include other spices in her recipe, so I added a pinch of this and a pinch of that to make the recipe my own. The staples of the recipe – garbanzo beans, onions, carrots and tomatoes – were left intact as what kind of a recipe would Savory Garbanzo Bean Vegan Stew be without garbanzo beans?
It’s near midnight in the California Desert and I’m not feeling very tired. I have to wonder how many other crazy women out there are sitting up past midnight posting recipes on their blog? I’m also not feeling very wordy tonight, but I am quite curious as to which foods you turn when you need an inner hug or comfort that only a good Vegan meal can provide? Your comments are appreciated.
Serve with some of my Vegan Garlic Naan and a side salad for a complete meal your whole family will enjoy.
Savory Garbanzo Bean Vegan Stew
- 3 15 oz cans organic garbanzo beans rinsed under cold water
- 5 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 5 carrots coarsely chopped
- 3 to matoes coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in wok or large skillet on medium heat. Add bay leaves and simmer until fragrant, approximately 3 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Add garlic and onions and saute until onions are translucent. Add the rest of spices and stir until spices are evenly dispersed.
- Add carrots and cook until they're almost fork-tender. Add the remainder of olive oil, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, sea salt and pepper. Stir well. Add vegetable broth, stir and cover. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, until the olive oil and vegetable broth form a savory broth. Serve immediately with some warm sourdough bread.