These Tinga Tacos are made with vegan tinga, traditionally flavored with a unique combination of fire roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano and smoky chipotle, then non-traditionally cooked for 20-30 minutes in an Instant Pot. Spicy and saucy abound in this tinga taco recipe that’s so simple, you can make with your eyes closed!
For Vegan Tinga
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 heaping tsp minced garlic
- 1–3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce w/ 1 tsp sauce finely diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 12 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan sugar
- 2 cans (15 oz ea) young jackfruit in water
- juice of large, fresh lime
For the Toppings
- sliced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- diced red onion
- crumbled vegan cotija cheese (I make my own out of tofu)
- lime wedges
- To your instant pot, add olive oil, garlic, onion, vegetable broth, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, oregano, cumin, fire-roasted tomatoes, sea salt and black pepper to taste, tomato sauce and sugar. Give it a good stir.
- Rinse and drain jackfruit in colander. Shred, just like you would chicken, into clean bowl. Sprinkle generously with lime juice. Stir and add to pot.
- Saute for 20-30 minutes or slow cook for 2-4 hours.
- Prepare toppings.
- Once vegan tinga is done, heat your tortillas over open flame on gas stove or in a skillet. Fill with generous portion of vegan tinga, sprinkle with your favorite toppings, give each taco a good squirt of lime and enjoy with a nice, cold cerveza.
- If you don’t have an instant pot, just use a large skillet, wok, or crock pot. When using a crock pot, you can either saute the veggies and spices first and add them, or add all ingredients at once. Cook for at least 4 hours.
- Be careful with the chipotle peppers. They are super hot. I know, because I put 4 or 5 of them into my recipe. The tinga tacos came out a bit too hot for my taste but they were still delicious. Start with one or two and adjust accordingly.
- Feel free to add different spices. I stuck to tradition.
- Category: Vegan Dinner Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: tinga tacos, tinga tacos recipe, vegan tinga tacos, vegan tinga tacos recipe, vegan tinga, vegan tinga recipe, chipotle, adobo, Mexican, Instant Pot