Celebrate in-season produce with this savory Vegan Tomato Zucchini Tart with Creamy Cashew Cheese. Made with fresh basil, zucchini, summer squash, cherry tomatoes and my Vegan Parmesan Cheese, it’s light, flaky vegan tart crust with subtle hints of hazelnut will have you returning for another slice long before you’re finished with the last.
Hello hungry friends! I hope your day is going well. It’s monsoon season in the California desert and, in 104 degree weather, I welcome the summer showers with open arms. It also gives me a chance to take some really cool photos when the light from the kitchen window is filtered through the clouds.
This post represents the 3rd time I’ve made this Vegan Tomato Zucchini Tart with Creamy Cashew Cheese and I must say the third times a charm! The crust turned out perfect; so light and flaky it almost floated out of the oven! And the Cashew Cheese mixed into a melange of summer vegetables; to die for! Are ya still with me? Let’s check this bad boy out!
The first two times I made the tart, I made it with whipped coconut cream instead of cashew cheese. The only problem with coconut cream, it gets super runny when it heats up. So, while it settled nice and firm overnight in the refrigerator, when I heated up a couple slices for us to have for dinner, it ran so fast over the plate I thought I’d have to chase it! I don’t know why I made it a second time using the same method, but I did and again, runny. Dahhhh.
Another initial problem was with the crust. The first time, I made it using only all-purpose flour and didn’t use enough of it. That caused the crust to not completely fill the tart pan which wasn’t too fun for the topping. The second time I made the crust, I’m not sure what I did but it turned out like rubber. I bet if I rolled it into a ball I could have bounced it all the way down the street. Seriously!
The third time I made it I finally got it right. Yay me!
The inspiration for this recipe came from Lemon in Ginger. If you’ve never been to this site you should check it out. My fellow food blogger, Deepali Jain, shared a beautiful Tomato Zucchini Tart that I found so gorgeous, I promised I’d veganize it and share the link. Thank you Deepali.
Vegan Tomato Zucchini Tart w/ Creamy Cashew Cheese
Tips for Making this Vegan Tomato Zucchini Tart w/ Creamy Cashew Cheese
The following tips should be considered when making this tasty vegan tart:
- When making the crust, I suggest you follow the recipe exactly. Any deviation will alter the end result.
- For the filling, feel free to experiment with different veggies. Red onion, whole roasted garlic, asparagus, red potatoes, Japanese eggplant – the possibilities are endless.
- To make the cashew cheese more cheddar-like, try adding 1/4 tsp or more of turmeric. I prefer the lighter version as it added more of a contrast for the photographs.
- Watch your tart very carefully once you place it under the broiler. Leaving it too long will burn it and if you’re like me, you’ll have to start over.
- Remember, baking times may vary, depending upon your oven. The tart is done when the scalloped edges are golden brown, the tomatoes start to wilt and the squash starts to get crispy.
Ghosts of Food Blog Past
I like to share recipes I’ve made in the past so you can see how Vegan Vigilante has grown. Check these out:
- Very first recipe – Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower with Sauteed Mushrooms
- 2 years ago – Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Smoky Homemade Chipotle Sauce
- 10 months ago – Sweet and Smoky Black Bean Stuffed Mini Peppers
- 4 months ago – One-Pot Chicpea Coconut Curry