This flavorful Vegan Garlic Naan is made on the stovetop with no yeast. The only vegan naan recipe you’ll ever need!
I absolutely love naan. Give it to me plain, with garlic or with just about anything in it and I’ll eat it. But it’s hard to find a recipe for naan that doesn’t have dairy in it. That’s why I created my Vegan Garlic Naan that you can make on the stovetop without adding any yeast. That’s right, you don’t have to sit there for an hour and let this Vegan Garlic Naan rise, as it has absolutely no yeast in it, only baking powder. Can you say easy peasy!
I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I’ve never told anyone this as it’s my magic bullet to making this crazy stuff. The key to this Vegan Garlic Naan is using a rolling pin to thin it out to about 1/8, even 1/16 inch thick. This way, what little baking powder it has in it will make it fluff up almost like pita bread. It comes out perfectly textured if you do it this way. Otherwise, it’s just too thick and heavy and doesn’t taste as fluffy and nice.
These fluffy little pillows of bread turned out so perfect, you’re not going to believe it until you try them. I’ve made many a naan recipe, but by far, this one is the best. Most I’ve tried are too thick and have no flavor in them. This Vegan Garlic Naan is just the opposite.
I ate this today for lunch with my Vegan Paneer Butter Masala that I made for dinner last night. The Vegan Garlic Naan was the perfect addition to this savory Indian dish that I love so much. The only problem now…I don’t have anything to eat for dinner. Back to the kitchen for more recipes!
Did you know that this naan recipe is one of the most popular recipes on my site? Make it and find out why! It’s the best, really it is. Just remember to roll it out super thin. I cannot stress this enough as you might have guessed by now because I keep repeating myself! That, my little hungry friends, is what’s going to make this work for you.
If you make this Vegan Garlic Naan recipe, don’t forget to take a photo and tag it #veganvigilante1 on Instagram. Please also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. As always, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated. I will always answer your queries within 24 hours or less. I’d love to know what you think about this recipe and all the other recipes on my site. Contact me anytime by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some awesome Vegan recipes to make on Thanksgiving? Check out my 30 Easy Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes for some amazing ideas.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp vegan sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3+ cup water
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and almond milk and stir with wooden spoon. Add water a little at a time to mixture. Use your hands to knead dough into a large, round ball. Add more water as needed. Dough should be very sticky.
- Add garlic and mix into dough ball with hands.
- Cover with dish towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Separate dough into 6 even balls. Sprinkle thin layer of flour onto cutting board. Using a rolling pin, roll out the first ball to 1/16-1/8 inch thick. The thinner the better. Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Heat skillet on high heat. Place dough in skillet and allow to brown. When the dough starts to bubble and puff up, it's ready to turn. Remove from heat and brush each side with vegan butter. Serve immediately.