A creamy avocado sauce that’s vegan and gluten-free and takes only 5 minutes to prepare. With accents of lime, garlic and cilantro, this is an avocado sauce recipe that tastes delicious on just about anything.
This creamy avocado sauce is the absolute BOMB! Vegan and gluten-free, this avocado sauce recipe can be used to top my spicy Jackfruit Tacos w/ Mango & Sweet Corn Salsa , my Mesquite-Grilled Corn on the Cob, my Vegan Enchilada Casserole and my Vegan Tinga Tacos. You can also use it as a dip for tortilla chips or a topping for tostadas. It’s so delicious and versatile, you’ll definitely want to triple the recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients, many of which you may already have in your fridge and pantry:
- raw cashews
- fresh cilantro
- minced garlic
- fresh lime
- ripe avocado
- sea salt and black pepper
- garlic powder
- filtered water
How to Make Sauce
This avocado sauce is super easy to make in just 4 simple steps. Check out the instructions below:
- For best results, soak cashews overnight. Alternatively, you can soak in boiling water removed from heat for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse the cashews after they have soaked the required time.
- Place all ingredients except the water in a high speed blender or food processor. Pulse just until well-combined, then add water, a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached. I usually start with 3/4 cup initially and if too thick, I add the rest. Process just until mixture appears smooth and creamy. TIP: If you don’t have a food processor yet, check out the Hamilton Beach 10-Cup Food Processor I used for this recipe on Amazon. I love the side scraper!
- Drizzle over your favorite dish and enjoy!
Tips for Making Sauce
- My avocado crema is great on tacos and any dish in which you wish to add more flavor.
- Make sure you process long enough that cashews are completely blended into mixture. Bits of cashews are not cool for this recipe.
- Store avocado sauce recipe in an airtight, glass container or jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Cilantro Lime Avocado Sauce for Tacos
- 1.5 cups raw unsalted cashews soaked in boiled hot water for 1 hours or overnight
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2-3 large garlic cloves minced
- juice from 1 large lime
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 jalapeno leaves seeds in if you like it hot
- 3/4 to 1 cup filtered water
- Soak cashews in water that you brought to a boil and removed from heat for at least 1 hour. If you prefer, you can soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse cashews after soaking.
- Place all ingredients except water in high-speed blender of food processor. Pulse just until combined. Add water, a little at a time. I usually start with 3/4 cup and add more if sauce is too thick.
- Drizzle over your favorite dish and enjoy.
- My cilantro lime avocado sauce is not just for tacos. Use on any dish to which you wish to add more flavor.
- Make sure you process long enough that the cashews are completely blended into the mixture. Chunks of cashews are not cool for this recipe.
- Store in an airtight, glass container or jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.