This piping hot Vegan Garlic Naan is made using no yeast right on your stovetop. From prep to plate takes less than 30 minutes. Hungry friends, this is the only recipe for homemade vegan naan you’ll ever need! (See video below for how to make).
I absolutely love naan. Give it to me plain, with garlic or with just about anything in it and I’ll eat it. But it’s hard to find a recipe for naan that doesn’t have dairy in it. That’s why I created my Vegan Garlic Naan that you can make on the stove top without adding any yeast. That’s right, you don’t have to sit there for an hour and let this Vegan Garlic Naan rise, as it contains no yeast what-so-ever, only baking powder. In other words, easy peasy!
However, before you start, allow me to let you in on a little secret. I’ve never told anyone this as it’s my magic bullet to making this crazy stuff. The key to this Vegan Garlic Naan is using a rolling pin to thin it out to about 1/8, even 1/16 inch thick. This way, what little baking powder it has in it will make it fluff up almost like pita bread. It comes out perfectly textured if you do it this way. Otherwise, it’s just too thick and heavy and doesn’t taste as fluffy and nice.
Ingredients for Vegan Garlic Naan
These fluffy little pillows of bread are so perfect, you’re not going to believe it until you try them. Although I’ve made many a naan recipe, this one is the best, by far. Most I’ve tried are too thick and have no flavor in them. This Vegan Garlic Naan is just the opposite. Here’s what you’ll need to shop for if you want to make this naan recipe:
- Bread flour
- Vegan sugar
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Sea salt
That’s it, only 7 ingredients plus a bit of water!
Video of Vegan Garlic Naan
To learn how to make this vegan garlic naan, check out my latest video and then follow the steps below:
How to Make Vegan Garlic Naan
If you’re looking for something to pair with my Vegan Garlic Naan, keep in mind my Vegan Paneer Butter Masala. Combining these two Indian recipes in the same meal is a marriage made in heaven!
Need a little extra help making homemade vegan naan? Here’s a little step-by-step to walk you through the recipe:
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and almond milk and stir with wooden spoon. Using your hands, knead the dough into a large, round ball. Add water, a little at a time as needed. Keep in mind the dough should be very sticky.
- Add garlic and mix into dough with your hands.
- Cover bowl with dishtowel and allow to sit out for 10 minutes.
- Separate dough into 6 even balls. Onto a large cutting board, sprinkle a fine layer of flour and roll out your first dough ball to 1/16 of an inch. Keep in mind, the thinner the better with this recipe. Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Heat skillet on high heat. Place dough in skillet and allow to brown. When dough begins to bubble and puff up, it’s time to flip over to brown the other side. Remove from heat and brush each side with vegan butter. Sprinkle with dried fenugreek or another favorite herb. Repeat for all the remaining dough balls.
Tips for Making Vegan Naan
Did you know that this homemade vegan naan is one of the most popular recipes on my site? Make it and find out why! It’s the best, really it is and to ensure you think so too, here’s what I learned about this naan recipe along the way:
- Remember to roll the dough out super thin. I cannot stress this enough as you might have guessed by now because I keep repeating myself! That, my little hungry friends, is what’s going to make this work for you.
- If you’re allergic to nuts or prefer another kind of plant-based milk, feel free to use your plant milk of preference when you make this recipe.
- You’re not limited to garlic in what you put into the naan. For instance, try avocado, grated cauliflower or a variety of different herbs!
- You can easily double or triple the recipe and freeze the balls to make later. Recipe will store in your fridge for about a week.
In conclusion, if you make this vegan naan with no yeast, don’t forget to take a photo and tag it #veganvigilanteblog on Instagram. Please also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. As always, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated. But don’t be a meanie!
Need some awesome Vegan recipes to make for Souper Bowl Sunday? Check out my 28 Sensational Vegan Soup Recipes to Rock your World.
A flavorful, stove-top Vegan Garlic Naan made without yeast.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp vegan sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced )
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3+ cup water
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and almond milk and stir with wooden spoon. Add water a little at a time to mixture. Use your hands to knead dough into a large, round ball. Add more water as needed. Dough should be very sticky.
- Add garlic and mix into dough ball with hands.
- Cover with dish towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Separate dough into 6 even balls. Sprinkle thin layer of flour onto cutting board. Using a rolling pin, roll out the first ball to 1/16-1/8 inch thick. The thinner the better. Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Heat skillet on high heat. Place dough in skillet and allow to brown. When the dough starts to bubble and puff up, it’s ready to turn. Remove from heat and brush each side with vegan butter. Serve immediately.
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian